Dear ICE Families (with extra consideration for those of you New to ICE):
I would like to welcome families new to our community and wish you and your kids a great start in this new school. ICE is a special place, unique in many ways which you will soon come to understand. We work very hard to make sure that all kids feel welcome here, and we prioritize what kids need at all times. That said - school starts very soon, and I want to be sure that you are aware or reminded of some important details. Here are a few important ones.
- School starts at 8:10 every day, students report to their advisors to begin every day
- Students use the ICE entrance which is on 16th street. Parents are encouraged to use the ICE entrance whenever possible
- On the first day of school all students except 6th graders may leave the building for lunch or bring lunch from home. We have free cold breakfast and lunch on our floor and free hot lunch in our cafeteria.
- 6th graders please remember to bring lunch to school for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week.
- School ends at 2:09 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays and 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
- ICE has a website: www.iceschoolnyc.gov where you can make donations, pay for class trips, sign up for PTA events etc. PLEASE sign up for our PTA Newsletter – it is thorough and will be the primary source of information to you all year long
- No special supplies are needed for day one of school, but kids should have a backpack and supplies ready for Friday morning.
There are clearly so many more questions to answer and things to discuss. If you have the time I encourage you all to attend our wonderful PTA meetings, and in particular please come to Curriculum Night on September 26th where you will get the chance to meet each of your child’s teachers.
Here is the email that is going out to all families about the start of school, In case you missed it:
The first few days of school are full of energy and nerves for all of us – and for the teachers, Mark and myself these are days we have been looking forward to for weeks. We have been busy this week designing workshops for your children as part of our opening project which will focus on wellness this year. This theme coincides with the introduction of some new programming at ICE surrounding the development and maintenance of healthy relationships, and other supports and services that I will introduce as the year goes on.
Wednesday - Students and any family members should come to our entrance on 16th street by 8:10 a.m. when we will open the doors and guide everyone towards the auditorium. On this first day we will not open the doors until that time, but ICE staff members will be present to greet everybody. We will proceed to the auditorium for our kickoff, and at 9:15 a.m. students will go to their advisories from last year and receive schedules for opening project. All new students in any grade will remain in the auditorium and receive additional information. All questions will be answered and needs will be met by ICE staff.
- 8:10 – Doors Open, proceed to auditorium
- 9:15 – all returning students to last year’s advisory
- 9:30 – students to new advisories for brief activity
- 10:15 – 11:40 – Opening Project Workshops
- 11:40 – 12:29 – Lunch
- 12:30 – 2:15 – Opening Project Workshops
- 2:15-3 – Advisory
- 8:15 – Advisory Check-In
- 8:30 – 10:30 – Advisory and Workshop Rotation
- 10:30 – Early Lunch
- 11:15 – Advisory – Students begin to travel to East River Park for Field Day
- 11:45 – 2:45 – Field Day – HS students dismissed from East River Parl, MS Students return to ICE with advisors
- 8:15 Advisory Check-In – School schedules are distributed to kids
- 8:30 Opening Project Closing Ceremonies
- 9:40 – 11:40 – Mock Schedule – Students Visit each class for 20 minutes for introductions
- 11:40 – 12:30 – Lunch
- 12:40 – 1:45 – Activities and Clubs Fair in Advisories
See you all very soon!!